TOOLCHAINS for LASER

For Sketchup to Illustrator to PDF.
Export from sketchup choose “2D” “EPS”
open in Illustrator
Select strokes and set to .0001in
save as pdf
print

Below is a modification to a box Ken designed in sketchup. Jenn might use it for her scratch to arduino project.

This is what I learned through much trial and error at the pop up design studio

LINE DRAWING to VECTOR GRAPHIC using ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR

1 Take phone picture of line drawing

2 If possible, crop, discard color, and up contrast on phone

3 PLACE image in Adobe Illustrator

4 Open IMAGE TRACE dialog box (under WINDOW)

5 With PREVIEW on, select LINE ART, BLACK AND WHITE, STROKE. Futz with THRESHOLD

6 Hit TRACE at the bottom of the dialog box. Then hit EXPAND on the top toolbar (EXPAND makes lines editable). Use WHITE ARROW or PEN TOOL to edit lines.

7 If your line drawing has too many anchor points, go to OBJECT > PATH > SIMPLIFY (play with settings w “preview” on)

8 Set stroke to .0001in

9 Save copy as PDF

10 Cut on laser

cc @Mark_Zifchock @ChrisW

HT Aaron (new member)

Can you post a sample photo, vector file, and picture of the resulting cut/engraved object?

Inkscape currently does not do “centerline” raster->vector tracing , though there are apparently other open source (command line?) tools that will. This effectively means that simple line drawings are converted to double outlines. I do not know if that’s a showstopper for this application, but I suspect so.

1 Like

Thanks Marty.

As for the double line problem in inkscape, if anchor points can be deleted, then there may be creative ways to edit a double line down to a single line.

Yes, you could manually delete half of the anchor points and fix up the intersections (if there’s not hundreds of them) and get pretty close to the desired tracing, but each line would be off by half a line thickness to one side or another.

yes. the line being “off” not a problem. distortion is part of the aesthetic here.