Sewing Machine Manuals

Hi. I just rejoined IG and am looking to use the sewing machines. I’m going to use this thread as a temp space to gather manuals. Once we have some good intel, perhaps the area captain can upload to wiki.

CONSEW Model 18
consew 18.pdf (1.0 MB)

Atlas Deluxe (coral colored machine at IG East)

Manual

Youtube on threading the machine. Groovy music, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElDiFQkQtbE

Looks like somebody started a Wiki page for that machine here: https://wiki.ithacagenerator.org/index.php/Sewing_Machines

I’ll upload the User’s manual and link the YouTube video there too. Anyone can do that in principle technically. You can Log In to the Wiki with Google, etc. If you get challenged on an edit the answer is Zing 24.

1 Like

@Xanthe can you send me the picture you are trying to upload so I can see if I can reproduce your error?

Actually, you can just give it another try, I just made some changes to the server configuration and was able to upload an image into a post similarly to what you show in your screenshots.

I uploaded it, and inserted where you had left a placeholder on the Wiki. I have to admit, the ‘natural’ way the image got added was not ideal in that context. So I saved it, and then went in using the “Edit Source” functionality to alter the way the image was embedded so that it was “in line” instead of “off to the side.”

I was at IG for a minute this morning and checked out the “new” singer 31-15. I don’t know what year it is. Do you?

The motor is very dirty. Do we want Wendy Skinner to come over and give it a tune up? Maybe she does house calls. Might be easier than schlepping it to Penn Yann.

That said, I don’t sew at IG. I don’t know who does.

Rockin video

Awesome restoration
https://theprojectlady.com/singer-31-15/

Manual

Yes we totally want Wendy Skinner to tune this up if we can get her here!

Here is her email ithacasews@gmail.com

If you’d like me to introduce her to a staffer, let me know.

I stopped into sew green for unrelated shopping last week and had a nice time talking to Wendy. She is not interested in industrial machines but recommended a Dr Carl from Rochester who does house calls and whose monthly route comes through ithaca to service machines at the fashion school.

Leaving this information here for posterity, I am not actively following up with Dr Carl at this time.

Thanks, E. I’ll add that Andy Ruina at Cornell knows a lot about industrial sewing machines. If anyone wants an intro, lemme know…though I’m not sure sewing people use discuss. I’ll reach out to Denise

fwiw I found this video of some guy refurbishing the singer 31-15 to a treadle machine bc the motor that was on it kept blowing up his fuse box. If anyone is interested in figuring this out with me, reach out. ill report on the list later

UPDATE on this. It doesn’t look like we can convert the singer to a treadle. But we will evaluate the machine as well as the consew and make a recommendation on what to do next. Stay tuned.

cc @Elliot_Wells

I’m guessing you may have already seen this, but this looked like a neat project:

1 Like

Too bad about the treadle conversion. I think we should make an appointment in penn yann and ask for a volunteer to take it up there, or call this mysterious dr carl. Will look into it and report back

sure. First i want to put a bobbin in it, thread it up, and see how it sews just by turning it by hand. I also want to plug in the motor and give it some juice. From there we can figure out if we need a new belt or what. @Micheal_Wheeler might have info to add here…

question - Has anyone tried the motor? @Elliot_Wells you may have told me, but I forgot.

Ultimately the plan is to test & compare both machines, name one a keeper, then auction or donate the other.

If I don’t get this done by end of March, I say go ahead and just do what you got to do to make the space beautiful.

my two cents

Very cool @Bez . I know nothing about CAD embroidery but the Husqvarna dealer up at Triphammer Mall is all over it. Not open-source, though.

https://www.sewshannon.com/

If we had one of these we could make IG logo oxford shirts then sneak into a trade show and set up an exhibit of maker delights guerilla art style