Hey All. Here’s a brief recap of the meeting I went to yesterday…questions and feedback welcome.
“Creativity and talent is everywhere. Opportunity is not.”
Rec programs coordinate to increase access to tools and tech.
Why rec programs?
- They have established communities
- They are funded (in part) by their cities and poised to share resources
- They are safe spaces for informal STEM learning
How might we get there from here?
- MULTIPLE SPACES. It’s important to have many spaces because that fosters inclusion. Centralized space doesn’t work.
- COORDINATE. Each space would do well to assess their strengths, their needs, and find ways to share some resources with other spaces (partnering on grants, on story-telling, on staffing, on programs)
- THINK BIG. START SMALL. Figure out where we are and where we want to be in the short, medium, and long term.
- LIBRARY BRANCH MODEL. Does this model work for community and also for operations?
- ADULTS TOO. This isn’t just for kids. Work readiness or entrepreneurship are important goals for adult learners.