Fyi during the rain this morning I noticed a bit of leakage on the lower edge of the fan mount.
Based on the email exchange, it sounds like the fan started making rattling noises and then stopped working entirely. It’s not clear if it stopped working because somebody unplugged it or turned it off at a breaker (nobody has said they did), or if it just fully broke or flipped a breaker.
If a bearing went bad and chewed up some parts I may be able to lend some machining capability to that problem. I also have an exhaust fan (Panasonic FV-20NLF1 WhisperLine 240 CFM In-Line Fan, 6-Inch Duct) that I could contribute to the cause if reimbursed for it by IG. I’ll need one at home eventually, so I can’t just donate it, but I don’t need it yet. We’d need a rain-proof vent, but could mount that unit inside because it’s quiet.
Of course this happened right as we got the first snow of the season. We don’t want to be on the roof with snow or ice. It’s supposed to be cold and clear on Saturday, and warm up to the high 30s on Sunday and Monday. I could help work on this on Sunday morning or Monday evening. Anyone else available to work on this?
I’m not out of town on this Sunday / Monday, I’ll just say it’s unlikely a problem with the motor, since I bought it (and I guess donated it) new specialty for this purpose. @Mark_Rosen thinks it might be the mount needs tightening.
I saw on the mailing list that the problem got resolved, but I didn’t notice any details of what turned out to be the source of the problem. Maybe one of the people involved in fixing the problem could shed some light on the root cause and ultimate solution here? A job well done to all those who helped out! /cc @jongsanders
The problem turned out to be the pulley on the motor. It looks like the set screw had backed out part way and got jammed on the motor shaft, before eventually breaking the pulley right in half along the belt. The belt that was on there was also too small. Jason was able to find a replacement pulley and belt at Ace (also upsized a bit for higher RPM), and this time we put some locktite on the set screw. I also squeezed some new grease into the one accessible bearing, thanks Mark!
Oh and Nicole figured out the leak problem! It looks like the issue is that the new roof passthrough is oversized, so that water is hitting the corners that stick out from under the fan shroud and channeling down along a seam in the flashing into the center of the fan. We thought that maybe the thing to do would be to cut some ‘ears’ out of aluminum flashing and rivet them inside the fan shroud so that they overhang the corners.