Embroidery links

@beline, Caleb and I were chatting about embroidery machines and I wanted to give some links from the small amount of research I did in case anyone else was interested. Beline’s point (which I agree with) was that the embroidery machines could be an accessible tool to many potential members. There might be some redundancy with the TC Library makerspace, though.

File Formats

Taken from “What Are The Embroidery File Formats?”:

• .jan - Digitizer 10000 “in progress” embroidery object file.
  • .jef - The stitch-based file that is read by the MemoryCraft 10000.
  • .sew - The stitch-based file format used by MemoryCraft 5700, 8000, and 9000 machines.
  • .pes - A stitch-based file format used by Brother and Babylock embroidery home sewing machines.
  • .pec - A stitch-based file format used by Brother and Babylock embroidery home sewing machines.
  • .hus - The stitch-based file format used by Husqvarna/Viking embroidery home sewing machines.
  • .pcs - The stitch-based file format used by Pfaff embroidery home sewing machines.
  • .csd - The stitch-based file format used by Poem, Huskygram, and Singer EU embroidery home sewing machines.
  • .xxx - The stitch-based file format used by Singer embroidery home sewing machines.
  • .dst - The stitch-based file format used by Tajima commercial embroidery sewing machines.
  • .exp - The stitch-based file format used by Melco commercial embroidery sewing machines.

Software and Libraries

From what I gather, one can create a .pes file and upload it to something like a Brother SE 4000 and have it print it out. See “How To Import an Embroidery File to the Brother SE 400 Sewing Machine”.