Direct Digital Manufacturing - how will it "change the world"?

Hey, IG, I got this really interesting article from Sam Scott. Sam is one of our regulars on Tuesdays and is soon to be IG’s youngest member when he turns 13 later this year. (Sam, this is an excellent catch. Thanks for forwarding this and keep sending me the interesting things you find.)

1. I’m not a huge fan of Forbes, and their website is frustrating to me, but this article is worth looking at. Here’s the link to the print version to save you the pain of navigating the website.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ricksmith/2015/06/15/3d-printing-is-about-to-change-the-world-forever/print/

2. This is a horrible title for an interesting article. If new trends in manufacturing are interesting to you, then read it, and send it on to those who might be interested. Be sure to click through to these links:

1. I think that this is an important direction for manufacturing to take. Regardless of whether the tech (or its use) will “change the world”, this is where the money will go, and the skills to play in this new arena are becoming very relevant.

2. There are new implications and opportunities for organizations like ours. We’ve been talking about disruptive tech and how the “common man” can change the world from his desktop; but I think we are about to see “capital I capital M” Industrial Manufacturing head in this direction, which will most certainly bring change. Where does IG fit into that equation?

3. Topic for discussion: Is Direct Digital Manufacturing a good thing? 100 printers running 24/7 with only three employees? Shipping centrally from a FedEx hub within the US? I submit that Local Digital Manufacturing might be preferable. Let’s talk.

Thanks Sam.

Yeh, manufacturing in the US doesnt mean jobs like back in the day at ford river rouge. It means a lot of robots.

As for centralized or distributed manu, I would guess amazon wants each of us to have a 3D printer in our garage with a ‘place order/print’ button. But I do yearn for something in between. I refer to it in my old yet relevant ted talk – that everyone have a local neighborhood micro manu. Similar to a local shoe maker, baker, etc.

and then there was that article that jenn posted a while back about how these machines afford making stuff for people for free - like the ‘prosthetics for kids’ movement. what we need isnt more jobs. we need access to thing things that a paycheck can buy. that’s a HUGE leap for us though. And corporations are doing all they can to roadblock that transition