Community Projects

Hi, all –

This is Lou, “the guy who asked about the newsletters” at the AGM. Before coming here, I was actively involved in the early growth of BioCurious, a DIYbio space in Sunnyvale, CA (yes, I’m also “the guy who posted about biology projects”).

One of the things we did was to create build projects that 1) got new members interested in the space, 2) helped energize existing members, and 3) provided opportunities for people to learn fun/cool stuff. Folks would come in each week for a meeting to learn about and work on the community project. The best example was probably the work on making a bioluminescent nightlight, but there were others too.

If people think it might be a worthwhile undertaking for IG, I’d be happy to help organize the effort. At bioC, there were basically just a few steps:

1. Brainstorm project ideas (in person and/or Google Doc)
  2. Use surveymonkey to poll interest in the various projects (and identify interested project leaders)
  3. Review the results, choose a project, and launch it

I’m open to suggestions, project ideas, or any other assistance :+1:

Hi Lou,

Great to see you last night at the agm.

This suggestion sounds like a great initiative. Go for it!

Are you on the IG Google Groups?
Personally I find more of the IG membership use this channel for group communications. You might get more response to your post using this?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ithaca_hackerspace

Cheers
Steve Martin

No disrespect meant to @StevenMartin, and not to get too meta, but I think it’s absolutely great that Lou is using this forum as a communication medium for general and extended discussion topics. I think this is exactly the type of topic that is appropriate for specialized interest groups to engage in conversation without using the broadcast medium of the mailing list, which I believe should be reserved, mostly, for announcements or urgent or matters of broad impact, imho. I don’t think anyone should be steered away from here.

Hi Vic,

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

Yes I totally agree with you, ‘this is exactly the type of topic that is appropriate for specialized interest groups to engage in conversation without using the broadcast medium of the mailing list’.

However I do think it would be a good idea give this initiative its best possible chance of capturing a special interest group via exposure to the a wide general audience in the first place.

My intention was not to steer anyone away from this forum, but to steer this great initiative to a potentially wider general audience via Google Groups.

I think it would be a good idea(going forward) to talk about our (IG’s) communication channels in general…I am a relatively new member to the IG, but in my experience as someone that has spent a reasonable amount of time at IG in recent times, I have spoken with members that are somewhat confused about which or how to use the various communication channels the IG offer.

If this is something of interest to you, can I invite you to the next board meeting to discuss it further.

Cheers
Steve