ARRRRRRR duino discussion

Hey I’m an arduino n00b.

There are a lot of variants out there, can someone tell me if this is a good place to start:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/high-quality-UNO-R3-MEGA328P-CH340-CH340G-for-Arduino-UNO-R3-USB-CABLE/32272110284.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.Pg9Kjy&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1_79_78_77_91_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

Or if not, what I should be looking at to get started for cheap.

I’m not really interested in 127 part kits. For reasons economical, philisophical, and ecological, I prefer to start very simply and hack, scavenge, or create peripherals as mission requires.

I know there’s a lot of arduino knowlege out there! So what am I looking at here? What should I be looking for in a board? What rocks or sucks about different models?

you dont want this kit (for the reasons you listed), but the book that comes with it is kick ass - code and wiring diagrams clear as the sky today http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT0NDB8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage i may have one in my cubbie. you can look around and borrow it if you find it

Looking at the aliexpress.com link, I think an Arduino UNO R3 with USB cable and header pins for $4 is extremely sketchy.

There are people in IG who design and make Arduino-compatible development boards (all an Arduino Uno is, hardware wise, is an AtMega prototyping board. The bootloader and development libraries and tools it what makes it an “Arduino”, really – that, and the trademark). You could definitely talk to them about what you should get.

I don’t know what the 72-page instruction booklet included in the kit Xanthe linked to is like. Some people – books even – have switched to using images from the “breadboard view” from Fritzing for schematics, which in my opinion is horrible.

It seems to me that going to the Electronics Meetup tonight would be a good place for you to ask questions.

I’ve been curious about arduino (and pi) for a while, and I was hoping to make it down to the electronics meetup and sneak in on any electronics/arduino/pi for n00bs discussions. I was kidnapped by a family at the last minute, though, and didn’t escape until a bit ago which with the hour plus the travel time means I’d get there just in time for things to start dying down an people to start leaving. DX

Did you receive any sage advice on where to get started with Arduino?

so far:

you should probably start with an arduino uno.

don’t buy the four dollar one from china.

(I probably will anyway because what the heck it’s four dollars)

update: Ti launchpad costs (a lot) less, does (significantly) more, runs the same language.

start with an arduino anyway.

1 Like

we are planning a little workshop on dec 4 from 6-8. you should come

makin these: https://vine.co/v/hFPJxw7eIl7

Oh cool! Pretty glowy things. I’ll be there. XD
Do we need any supplies or anything?

Just you. Looking fwd!

@Elliot_Wells, you probably figured this out by now, but I’m one of those people @Blaise alluded to earlier in this thread who designs/builds/sells specialized “flavors” of Arduino hardware. To answer your question directly, you can get an inexpensive Arduino from a place like Microcenter and get an Arduino Uno clone for $6 + shipping (which blows my mind). There are a number of philosophical reasons to support the authentic makers rather than the cheaper clones if you can afford to, but I won’t go into that further here.

What I will go into slightly is that I feel like this is an area where I/we have a lot more to offer than we do currently. I think we’re getting overdue for offering another class on the subject of Arduino, as it’s been over a year (?) since @ken and/or @ChrisW offered classes previously in this vein. I think there’s been some chatter among the Education committee about creating some staple curriculums / courses of study (for lack of better terminology), and I think Arduino is pretty ripe for that as topics go. I’d be interested in helping craft that curriculum and/or teach aspects of it.

1 Like

Philosophically, I wish I was in a position to support the locally made variants of arduino hardware. I’m not proud of my Chinese import habit…it’s really a poverty-driven decision.

As far as arduino education goes, there is clearly a lot of cool potential out there. I recently found out about ladder logic and PLCs. There’s an open source automation platform called Soapbox Snap that supports Arduino hardware for example. I bet there are some folks who would really get down with the more visual ladder logic who are turned off by c code. Is anyone making a container for arduino hardware with 24v switching?

blah blah lots of great ideas and stuff.

I would imagine the same recruiting challenges might apply for arduino courses as for other courses, but maybe there’s a way to brand it as career or job training, like a 12 week series or something. I’m thinking there might even be grant money available for up-skilling NY workers and such…

we’ve had no problem filling arduino courses. i sat in on several of ken’s and learned a lot both as a user but also as an instructor. keeping the class size down to 6 is key if there is only one teacher.

from where did we end up ordering arduinos. i might want to pick up a batch for my class.

Here’s a link to exactly what we bought and where we bought it from. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50set-50pcs-board-50-UNO-R3-MEGA328P-ATMEGA16U2-for-Arduino-cable-Free-Shipping-by-EMS/1658892619.html

1 Like

if we buy another batch, id love 10 of em