3-D surface scanning for biological research

I would like to chat with people that have informed opinions on 3-D surface capture, particularly laser scanning, for my research in functional morphology. I have two goals:

Basic goal: affordable scanning of anesthetized or preserved fishes performed at a resolution that will allow for quantification of basic features of external anatomy, to populate a morphospace.

Advanced goal: scanning live, moving fishes underwater. This would be VERY exciting and useful for many applications, including kinematic study and VR.

Thoughts/suggestions? I have purchased a Kinect V2 for Windows to play around with for proof of concept for the basic goal. However, I can apply for grants to get more expensive equipment (or DIY components), if it is likely to enhance my success at either goal.

Thanks!

Claire Fox

@Claire_Fox You might want to shoot this question to the folks at Center for Image Sci at RIT. They are a cool bunch. A lot of physicists that are into imaging tech.

PS my cousin is a radiologist and thus an imaging tech nerd. Let me know if you’d like an intro

hmmm. I’m at a talk at rev right now with two 3d scanning companies in the room. anyways, hope you find something